Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Conservative Chit Chat: A Place to discuss politics

Main Site Home Blogs Books Conservative ChitChat Gazette USA boards Merchandise AlltheInterweb Answers Links Directory HelpLoginRegisterSearch Dating  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Reply Add Poll Send Topic Print
iPad's for Politicians (Read 3924 times)
Paste User Name in Quick Reply Box Admin-JD
YaBB Administrator

iPad's for Politicians
May 2nd, 2012 at 4:02am
Mark & Quote Quote 
Recently it was announced that Parliament is going to blow some Tax Payer's money on iPad's for Members of Parliament.

The Taxpayer's Alliance don't seem too chuffed on the idea, neither do many of the commenters below the article in the DM about it.

I, on the other hand, think the idea has potential, despite also having a severe allergy to Tax Money being wasted due to being both a Conservative, and from Yorkshire.
Suppose it's better value for money than some other things I can think of. For instance, the DM article states it would cost £430,000 to equip every MP with an iPad..... which I've worked out is £2,570,000 cheaper than Ed Ball's Office refit shortly before Labour got kicked out of power in 2010.

My iPad2 I bought for my birthday a couple of months ago (£289 from the Apple refurb store) is great..... battery life supposed to be about 10hrs of use, and I so far usually only have to charge it twice a week (from the supplied USB / mains adapter because not all PC USB ports have enough juice coming out of them to charge an iPad like you can with an iPhone or iPod Touch).
Much better than my Samsung N130 netbook, which is supposed to have a 5hr battery life, but can lose it's full charge in  under 30mins if doing something like looking at YouTube video clips, or have the screen at full brightness to see photographs from YouTube properly. Apart from that it's still a good netbook / small laptop as long as you keep the mains charger with you + can hook it up to the mains as efficiently as a Formula1 tyre stop when the battery does run low on juice.

Back to the iPad2... I also managed to get a Duragadget Leather case for it off Amazon UK, with the price reduced to just under a tenner (instead of the original £25) which makes it look smart + also allows you to use it as a stand.

As well as Hi-Lite the uses & benefits an iPad might be to Politicians & those who work with them, I also intend to hi-lite Apps for it in the iTunes store.

IP Logged

YaBB Administrator

Re: iPad's for Politicians
Reply #1 - May 2nd, 2012 at 4:15am
Mark & Quote Quote 
One benefit of an iPad is the Find my iPad / Find my iPhone app (iTunes Store UK).

Let's face it.... Politicians & Government employees seem to have a special talent for losing IT equipment, usually with sensitive data on it. With this App, this problem can hopefully be reduced / eliminated. You can locate the misplaced device on a map from any other iOS device (iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad) or a computer, lock it, and if necessary zap any sensitive data on it remotely. You can also use the App to locate your iPhone (good partner for the iPad), and if you lose either you can use this app on the other to make a play a sound so you can home in on it easily (great if you've just lost it somewhere in a room).

There's already been several reports of thieving scumbags being busted as a result of being traced via this app.

IP Logged

YaBB Administrator

Re: iPad's for Politicians
Reply #2 - May 2nd, 2012 at 4:57am
Mark & Quote Quote 
You can easily edit MS Word, MS Excel & create Presentations with the Office² HD app from Bytesquared, which costs about £5.49 from the iTunes Store.

Absolute bargain compared to the couple of hundred quid it can cost to put Microsoft Office on a regular PC, but of course still not as cheap as the free OpenOffice.

You also store documents on Windows Live SkyDrive (e.g. PDF files, Spreadsheets, Word Documents), then open them out in Office² HD via the SkyDrive App (but don't seem to be able to upload them back up once edited, only upload pictures stored on the iPad).... at least it's free.

There's also a Microsoft OneNote app available for iPad (free for first 500notes, then £10.49 to unlock to make it unlimited).

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Reply Add Poll Send Topic Print
iPad's for Politicians
Open Live Preview Live Preview

You can resize the message area by dragging the right- or bottom border.

Max 3500 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features

AlltheInterweb | AlltheInterweb Directory | AlltheInterweb Search | More Forums
ConservativeChitChat.co.uk | ConservativeChitChat USA | ConservativeChitChat Scotland