Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Conservative Chit Chat: A Place to discuss politics

Main Site Home Blogs Books Conservative ChitChat Gazette USA boards Merchandise AlltheInterweb Answers Links Directory HelpLoginRegisterSearch Dating  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Reply Add Poll Send Topic Print
Bring the Esk Valley Line back to double track at Whitby, Ruswarp, Sleights & Grosmont - Real Rail Improvements (Read 67718 times)
Paste User Name in Quick Reply Box Admin-JD
YaBB Administrator

Bring the Esk Valley Line back to double track at Whitby, Ruswarp, Sleights & Grosmont - Real Rail Improvements
Mar 1st, 2012 at 10:34pm
Mark & Quote Quote 
Last week over at ConservativeHome, I saw a post from Brandon Lewis MP called It's time to improve our Railway Stations.
This reminded me that the Train station in Whitby, North Yorkshire was re-opened after nearly 1million was spent on refurbishing it in July 2009 (story), and also reminded me of more improvements that kinda need doing on the Railways in this part of the world and beyond, some of which I've already sent out best I could a few years back.... certainly via the Conservative's "Transport in the North" campaign, and possibly via the Stand up, Speak up campaign but I can't remember.
Now I'm finally getting round to sticking them on here to try give them some attention.

Local Residents have been wanting the railway line upgraded back up to Double Track ever since it got chopped down to Single Track by the now de-funct British Rail back around 1987/88 and the old Class 101 DMU trains were replaced by Class 142 & Class143 DMU's - and since in turn been replaced by Class 144 then Class 156 DMU trains.

Whitby Station, c. 1988, shortly after the Double track rails had been ripped-up:

Here's what it looked like in 2006, before the restoration was done:

And here's what it looked like a few months ago:

« Last Edit: Mar 1st, 2012 at 10:35pm by Admin-JD »  
IP Logged

YaBB Administrator

Re: Bring the Esk Valley Line back to double track at Whitby, Ruswarp, Sleights & Grosmont - Real Rail Improvements
Reply #1 - Mar 2nd, 2012 at 4:54am
Mark & Quote Quote 
Here's the scene at Ruswarp Station, Level Crossing & Railway Bridge (present day, give or take a few months):

Here's one I found on someone's FLICKR account of how it used to look:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pinzac55/4738129781/sizes/s/in/photostream/
« Last Edit: Mar 2nd, 2012 at 5:02am by Admin-JD »  
IP Logged

YaBB Administrator

Re: Bring the Esk Valley Line back to double track at Whitby, Ruswarp, Sleights & Grosmont - Real Rail Improvements
Reply #2 - Mar 2nd, 2012 at 6:00am
Mark & Quote Quote 
Here's some of Sleights Station I've managed to track down... these are from 2007:

Here's a few more I've found from 2010, though admittedly it was a bit snowy at the time they were taken...

IP Logged

YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - Mar 2nd, 2012 at 6:12am
Mark & Quote Quote 
Anyway, the point I'm trying to get to, and suggesting this idea is that:
  • Having the double tracks back at Ruswarp, Sleights & Grosmont would provide more passing places to allow more train services to/from Whitby..... currently 4x Northern Rail mainline services from/to Middlesbrough a day + additional NYMR services in the summer.
  • Having the Double tracks back in Whitby Station would allow to have more Trains come in & out of there, and probably also save alot of fannying around when the NYMR + assortment of occasional charter daytrips - currently to switch locomotives to opposite ends of the train they have to pull into the station, offload the passengers, push the carriages out of the station and into the sidings under the "New Bridge", uncouple the locomotive, run it round to the other end, hook it back up to the carriages and push them back into the Station. Returning to 2 tracks in the station would hopefully simplify it into a just running the locomotive from one end to the other.
    « Last Edit: Mar 2nd, 2012 at 6:20am by Admin-JD »  
    IP Logged

YaBB Administrator

Reply #4 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 8:33pm
    Mark & Quote Quote 
    Been looking for some pics of how the Stations mentioned looked when they were double track...

Whitby Station, August 1980

Whitby Station, 1977

Whitby Station, 1967

IP Logged

YaBB Administrator

Reply #5 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 8:45pm
    Mark & Quote Quote 

IP Logged

YaBB Administrator

Reply #6 - Mar 28th, 2012 at 11:09pm
    Mark & Quote Quote 
    Seperate organisation, officially in charge of matters dealing with this line: Esk Valley Railway Development Company

Wikipedia article about this line:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esk_Valley_Line

An article on the line from http://www.docbrown.info/docspics/eskvalleyline/
    « Last Edit: Mar 28th, 2012 at 11:16pm by Admin-JD »  
    IP Logged

YaBB Administrator

Reply #7 - Oct 8th, 2014 at 7:17am
    Mark & Quote Quote 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
    Reply Add Poll Send Topic Print
    Bring the Esk Valley Line back to double track at Whitby, Ruswarp, Sleights & Grosmont - Real Rail Improvements
    Open Live Preview Live Preview

You can resize the message area by dragging the right- or bottom border.

Max 3500 characters. Remaining characters:
    Text size: pt
    Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features

AlltheInterweb | AlltheInterweb Directory | AlltheInterweb Search | More Forums
    ConservativeChitChat.co.uk | ConservativeChitChat USA | ConservativeChitChat Scotland