Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Conservative Chit Chat: A Place to discuss politics

The Forum is moving to a new space integrated into the Wordpress Blog, but this old place will remain here for posterity (or in case the wordpress doesn't work out).
  Main Site Home Blogs Books Conservative ChitChat Gazette USA boards Merchandise AlltheInterweb Answers Links Directory HelpLoginSearch Dating  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Reply Add Poll Send Topic Print
Create a "Pickering South" Railway Station - Real Rail Improvements (Read 3905 times)
Paste User Name in Quick Reply Box Admin-JD
YaBB Administrator

Create a "Pickering South" Railway Station - Real Rail Improvements
Mar 1st, 2012 at 9:58pm
Mark & Quote Quote 
There's been campaigns over the years to re-open the old Whitby to Pickering Railway line - better known these days as the volunteer run North Yorkshire Moors Railway - to modern day mainline train services, and hook the Pickering end of the line back up to the Railway line between Scarborough & Malton that goes to York.

However, looking at the area around the Pickering end, I'm of the opinion that instead* a new Terminus station called "Pickering South" (or something along those lines) should be built instead, with a line going down to the Scarborough, Malton & York railway line - Exiting in a Y shape for Trains going to/from Scarborough, and Trains going to/from Malton & York.

I also think that perhaps a Shuttle Bus service should connect this new station with the existing NYMR Station at Pickering.

* to avoid causing chaos & carnage through the town connecting the existing station back up.

IP Logged

Paste User Name in Quick Reply Box Admin-JD
YaBB Administrator

Re: Create a "Pickering South" Railway Station - Real Rail Improvements
Reply #1 - Oct 17th, 2014 at 3:31am
Mark & Quote Quote 
Well the idea from a seperate group to restore a link right the way through via the NYMR has been trashed for pretty much exactly the same reasons I noticed here in my original post
Quote:
Mr Benham feels that even if the financial aspect of the project was no issue there would still be “huge obstacles to surmount”.

“Buildings would need to be torn down,” he added.

“There is currently a library and a major road junction on the land where the line used to pass through.”

Robert Goodwill, MP for Whitby and parliamentary under-secretary of state for transport has also described the idea as a “non-starter”.
Read rest of Whitby Gazette article

... and something similar to my Restore the Picton to Battersby Line idea a better plan instead...
Quote:
He continued: “We haven’t done a huge amount of research into this idea as it is not our place, but, superficially at least, a better solution would appear to be to restore the rail link through Battersby.

“This would connect Whitby with the East Coast Mainline via track between Northallerton and Middlesbrough.

“Most of the track bed is still there, the engineering challenges would be considerably less, journey time would appear to be comparable with that of the route via Pickering and it would undoubtedly cost less money to undertake.”

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Reply Add Poll Send Topic Print
Create a "Pickering South" Railway Station - Real Rail Improvements
Open Live Preview Live Preview

You can resize the message area by dragging the right- or bottom border.

Max 3500 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features

AlltheInterweb | AlltheInterweb Directory | AlltheInterweb Search | More Forums
ConservativeChitChat.co.uk | ConservativeChitChat USA | ConservativeChitChat Scotland